called to serve

called to serve

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

After a very long, hard week, it was so good to read your letters! Thank you so much for the support that you all always give me. If you are reading this letter, I love you. I hope Mom and Dad that you enjoy your trip and that you send me pictures of the big surprise! And I hope to see Dad`s picture with the behinds of those horses :) I cant tell you how much I wish I was there to help you all with the wood as well ;) haha There are just a few things that are fun to miss while your on the mission :) 

With so many hard things passing over the last few weeks, I felt very discouraged this week, but yesterday we received a visit from President and Hermana Spjut and they gave me all the comfort I needed. It is amazing how your leaders know when you need them most. My companion and I were both really sick this week. She is seeing the same symptoms that I had when I went to the hospital the last time and I was sick with bronchitis. There was also a tropical storm that came in our area this week, so Hermana Spjut banned us to bed rest. I didn't realize until this week just how much I love to work. I felt horrible just sitting in the house and got myself pretty discouraged. I think it gave me too much time to think about all the problems in the branch and all of the trials we have had here in this area. When I came here in this area, everyone in the mission was patting me on the back and told me how horrible it was. I have tried to make the best of it and I am really grateful for the opportunity to serve in Los Naranjos. I loved my first area because I learned to love the people and the culture. I love this area because its taught me to be a better missionary and person. I feel that I have hit every trial I could here and I have felt in times that I just cant do more but I know my afflictions have not been anything compared to what others have sacrificed for this work. As I prayed last night, I thought of this scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 122: 7-8 "And if thou shouldst be cast in the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?" It then gives us an invitation. "Therefore, hold on thy way." The mission is hard, but I have already learned in these 9 months more than I had learned in my lifetime and I know it is because of the trials I am facing. So, I'm going to hold on my way and hold on to my Savior more.  I know He is with me and I know he is happy with my work and that's enough for me. 

This week was a hard week because we were sick, but as we talked last night, my companion and I felt the same, that this week is going to be a week of miracles. I feel like something big is coming for us, whether its a trial or a blessing, it is the same. President Spjut helped us to realize how beautiful the struggles really are and I am excited to see what this week brings us. So...my time is almost up...but here are just a few of the happy things :)

1. I love my companion. Hermana Romero and I are the best of friends. We haven't even fought one time. We work together really really well....and are hoping for another change together!
2. This week, although we were only able to leave the house 2 day, we found 2 of those people they call the "chosen ones" who are ready to receive the gospel.
3. I got a ton of compliments on my spanish this week. Woo hoo! Finally am starting to perfect my accent thanks to my good companion and good converts. 

 A picture from the morning...we are back from the dead!

​Just a picture to show you how we passed the time...sleeping...eating...reading...and UNO. :)

Love you all! Be safe, have fun and I will talk to you next week! 
Hermana Stoor



No comments:

Post a Comment