called to serve

called to serve

Monday, January 25, 2016

Una Semana de Milagros!!!

I can't even explain in words how amazing this week was. I feel like I had so many unanswered questions or just an empty space in my heart that was filled this week as we attended the conference and as we taught our investigators this week. This week, over everything, my testimony was strengthened of the reality of our Savior and of the reality that our Heavenly Father really does hear and answer our prayers. As you know, we attended a 3 mission conference on Saturday with Elder Cook, Elder Christiansen, and Elder Ochoa. It was fun to shake their hands and get to know them a little bit. What a blessing! They all gave wonderful wonderful talks along with their wives. We all left so edified. My favorite talks were by Elder Cook and his wife. His wife talked about Christlike attributes and how we should all be striving to develop those throughout our life. I would definitely invite you all to grab a preach my gospel and read the chapter about Christlike attributes and take the attribute test. It is amazing how if you do that prayerfully, Heavenly Father can show you the things that you need to work on. What strengthened my testimony the most was the testimony that Elder Cook bore at the end. He said that a young man had once asked him why the apostles and the prophet don't share more experiences that they have. He talked with us about keeping the sacred things sacred and how sometimes, the revelation that we receive is sometimes just meant for us. And then he talked about the reality of the Savior. He said something that pierced my heart and that i will hold on to forever. He said, "I know Him. I know the Saviors voice. I know what his face looks like. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are real and they are directing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." I truly felt the spirit pierce my soul. I know and I hope with every fiber of my being that I can help these people here in El Salvador KNOW that their Savior and Heavenly Father are real. This is THEIR church. The plan is real. The fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ is again on the earth. And the blessings of heaven are available to us. The opportunity to receive life eternal is ONLY found as we live by the principles and hacer the ordinances  that are found within THIS church, the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

We saw several miracles this week. But, the one that comes to my mind the most frequently is that the father of Alexandra signed the papers for her to get baptized! She has such a desire to be baptized and finally after weeks and weeks of praying, something touched his heart and she is going to be baptized this Saturday! She is 16 years old and every time we teach her, she strengthens my testimony. She is so willing to make all the sacrifices she needs to, to become a better, more Christ like person. I know without a doubt in my heart that she was prepared to hear the message of the restoration of the gospel. I have seen it in her every single time we teach. It is truly a blessing to be a small part of her conversion. 

We also found a new family this week, that I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo So SO excited about. Alma (the mom) is a menos activo. It has been over 10 years since she has attended church  and neither of her children (Nestor and Karen) are members. We found them by a miracle. a Few weeks back, we met Nestor at Mynor's house. We invited him to come to the noche de hermanamiento that we have every week on Wednesday with the ward. He said that he would come but never actually showed. BUT, when one of our plans fell through and we were clear out of Turìn where we have no other investigators, we decided to knock a few doors. And the very first house we went to was theirs! Nestor opened the door and were able to have a lesson with him  and set another lesson to come back! The very next day we went and were able to meet his sister Karen. We were there for way too long. But had so much fun with them playing games and getting to know them. They came to church with us the Sunday and absolutely LOVED it. In fact, Nestor agreed after church yesterday to be baptized, to sing in the choir for the stake conference and went to choir practice two towns away last night with a group of youth from the ward. He also showed up to play soccer with the youth this morning at the church. It is amazing! He is 16 years old and is one of the nicest people I have met here. We are so excited for him and know that as they watch his example, his sister will follow right behind him and hopefully his mom as well! 

We have 6 investigators progressing right now and 4 with fechas! We are super excited and are hoping and praying that we can find some new families this week! The work is moving along very nicely here in Turìn and we are so excited! It is amazing to start seeing the fruits of your labors. But it is even more amazing to see how the spirit can work to change the lives of people. That is something I learned in our worldwide missionary training that we had this last Tuesday! God sends us here not so that we can be helpers in his garden, but so that we can provide the Spirit in their lives so that HE can prune the garden. That's the whole reason we are here, and that is why it is so important that we are exactly obedient and that we are continually seeking the spirit and the gifts of the spirit. Oh man. It was a good week! I am so excited to repent and get out there this week and change everything we are doing to become better misioneras, more worthy of the spirit, better predicad mi evangelio misioneras, and help the people here in Turìn find their desire. 

Okay, now some more "fun" for this week. El Salvador finally got me. My companion and I are going in today, tomorrow and Thursday for parasite tests...YAAAAAYY. The pain is real. We have been throwing up and have had diarhea (sorry for this) all week and the worst part....we haven't even had water in our house to really take care of things. We finally got some water this morning after 4 days without it...so we very quickly took showers and filled some buckets with water that we can hopefully use to clean our house. But other than that things we are happy and healthy :) No need to worry! :) Also some fun for you...not so fun for me things from this week. Remember that man that i said we met in the street that tried to kiss me? Well, we got a reference this week from the patriarch and when we got there...it was HIM. It was soooo awkward. But we taught him the first lesson and are sending the reference off to the elders. He is now being called my boyfriend by the other missionaries. Who knew I would find a 60 year old boyfriend on my mission. Also, no need to worry, we are completely safe! But this week, I had what I think is my scariest experience yet. I promised I would tell you everything Mom, but know as you read this we are suuuuuper safe! It was about 8:30 and we decided to do some contacting...we stopped in the middle of the street trying to decide where to go and we were just about to pray when my companion said, "RUN." and looked at my shoulder with this awful look. I looked down and noticed that we were being targeted by a lazer. So we went home. Good think running is my new thing, even up the large hill to our house :) Anyways, moral of the story is, we are parasitic and smelly, but SAFE, HAPPY and somewhat healthy :) And recharged for another AMAZING week in beautiful El Salvador! 

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH. Stay close to the gospel. And if you aren't there now, GET THERE because it is the ONLY way to true happiness in this life and an interminable gozo en la vida venidera! Be Christ-like, read your scriptures, pray to Heavenly Father every day and please for me, stay safe :) I love you and I pray for you each individually every single day.

Hermana Stoor

 ​The one good thing about waking up at 6:00 AM is this :)

​Also, I'm Hermana Stoor, but I also still have my Megan moments. Lost my name tag...sooooo for the next three weeks until i get my new one, I am Hermana Escalante! Rosalina lent me her name tag for a while and its been kind of fun to get the weird looks I get. I am definitely tanner than i left, but not quite Latina. :)

We had some fun the other night with Roberto, Kevin and Ale as we walked up to our house. They were nice to share their canya with us. Its this cool plant that you just chew on and its super sugary. Anyways here's a picture of the boys with their canya and machete :)

Hermana Crowley finds this picture so funny. I hadnt realized they hadnt taken the skin of yet and spent a while trying to bite into this one. 

We had a new roommate move in and he decided to hang out for a while. There are geckos EVERYWHERE. In our suitcases, in our clothes..everything! But they are soooo cute :)

Selfie in the van on the way to the conference. The four of us you can actually see are the Turìn missionaries. Elder Galicia got transfered and now we are an area of all gringos. Elder Laing, Elder Flygare, me and Hermana Crowley

I love the temple in San Salvador! It is soooo beautiful! I cant wait to go inside...hopefully in the next couple of months!

​We looooooovvveee Hermana Spjut! She is so so sweet! 

No comments:

Post a Comment